Snapshot of round 19 of the NRL
Snapshot of round 19 of the NRL season
WHAT HAPPENED IN ROUND 19 OF THE NRL
- QUOTE OF THE ROUND: "I just stuck it up. I'm surprised the camera caught me. The only thing I can feel okay about is it took him 428 games to get there." - Melbourne coach Craig Bellamy explains flipping Cameron Smith the bird when the champion hooker passed his coach's career try-scoring record in the Storm's 50-22 win over Wests Tigers.
- STAT THAT MATTERS: Gold Coast's 42-24 win over Manly not only equalled their highest score in a single game but was the first time since 2014 the Titans have won four straight matches. Another victory over Newcastle on Friday would equal the club's record winning run.
- MAGIC MOMENT: The Sydney Roosters players formed a guard of honour at the SCG for club legend Mitchell Aubusson as he ran on to the field to become the most-capped Rooster of all-time. Aubusson added to the occasion with two tries in a 34-18 win over Cronulla.
- MAN OF THE ROUND: Viliame Kikau. The Penrith powerhouse was unstoppable with 180 run metres, two line breaks and a try as the Panthers thrashed North Queensland 32-12 to extend their NRL winning run and become the first team to win the minor premiership either than the Sydney Roosters or Melbourne since Canterbury in 2012.
- TALKING POINT: Can Brisbane end their losing run to avoid the club's first wooden spoon? The Broncos have fallen to last place following Canterbury's upset win over South Sydney and need to end a 10-game losing run against North Queensland to have any hope of avoiding the unwanted prize.
- JUDICIARY WATCH: Brisbane - Alex Glenn (dangerous contact); Parramatta - Junior Paulo (dangerous contact); Souths - Jaydn Su'A (careless high tackle); Canterbury - Tim Lafai (careless high tackle); Gold Coast - Mitch Rein (dangerous throw).
- UNDER PRESSURE: South Sydney. The Rabbitohs have to beat the Sydney Roosters on Friday to have any chance of a home final having lost their advantage with their shock 26-16 loss to Canterbury.
--End of article--